- How It Works
- Who It Benefits
Lyric Hearing Aid
Lyric® is the first and only extended wear hearing device that is 100% invisible. Lyric is comfortably placed in the ear canal by a Lyric trained audiologist from the Ear Institute of Chicago. The Lyric device can be worn 24 hours a day, seven days a week, for up to 120 days at a time. No surgery or anesthesia is required. Unlike many other hearing aids, Lyric is positioned completely inside the ear canal, so it uses your ear's natural anatomy to provide exceptional sound quality.
- The placement of the Lyric in the ear canal makes the device inivisible.
Effortless Hearing, All the Time
- Lyric can be used during daily activities, such as exercising, showering, talking on the phone and sleeping.
- There are no batteries to change, no maintenance is needed and no daily insertion or removal is required.
(Photo courtesy of InSound Medical, Inc.)
How the Lyric Hearing Aid Works
Lyric® is comfortably placed in the ear canal by a Ear Institute of Chicago audiologist during a routine office visit. No surgery or anesthesia is required.
The Lyric hearing device is worn continuously for up to 120 days at a time-- there are no batteries to replace. Once the device's battery runs out, the Lyric will be removed and replaced during an office visit.
Lyric is sold on a subscription basis, which means that the Lyric devices are purchased for one year at a time. New devices are placed at each follow up visit. In this way, patients are guaranteed the most up-to-date technology.
Uniquely designed and placed, Lyric works with a person's ear anatomy to deliver exceptional sound quality. Lyric uses the outer ear to naturally direct sound into the ear canal without the need for multiple settings or complicated programs.
Lyric is programmed for each individual's specific hearing needs. Once purchased, the owner will be able to adjust the settings and volume on the device as needed, as well as turn the device on and off.
(CLICK on photo to watch video of Lyric Hearing Aid)
(Video courtesy of InSound Medical, Inc.)
Who Can Benefit From the Lyric Hearing Aid
Although Lyric® is an exciting and unique hearing solution, like all hearing devices, it is not the right solution for everyone with hearing loss. Lyric is appropriate for people with mild to moderately severe hearing loss (see fitting range superimposed on an audiometric graph, below).
In addition to hearing level, the following factors are also taken into account when fitting the Lyric device:
- Ear canal size and shape,
- Medical status of the ear canal skin (e.g. chronic ear canal infections, eczyma, etc.)
- Lifestyle of the patient (e.g. is the patient a frequent swimmer)
Lyric Fitting Range
(photo courtesy of InSound Medical, Inc.)
The following medical conditions prevent use of the Lyric hearing device:
Bleeding Disorder / Other Medical Issues
- Temporomandibular joint dysfunction (TMJ)
- Ear pain
- Use of prescription anticoagulation medication
- Compromised immune system
- Radiation therapy to local area
- Chemotherapy (within last six months)
Outer/Middle Ear Conditions
- Hole in Ear Drum (Tympanic Membrane Perforation)
- Pressure Equilization (PE) Tube
- Chronic or acute drainage
- Contact dermatitis
- Chronic external otitis
- Thin, dry skin with risk of trauma
- Keratosis obturans
Lyric Hearing Aid: Advantages
Unlike other hearing aids, Lyric® is placed deep into the bony portion of the ear canal so that the receiver resides approximately 4 mm from the ear drum and the microphone is greater than 4 mm from the opening of the ear canal. This placement deep in the ear canal provides a number of sound quality benefits.
Benefits of Deep Ear Canal Placement
- Improved directionality and localization (ability to tell where sounds are coming from)
- Minimized occlusion effect (blocked feeling in the ear canal)
- Reduced feedback (whistling sound hearing aids can make)
- High-Frequency gain (ability to hear high pitched sounds)
- Security of fit and retention
- Comfort: 94% of Lyric users rate Lyric's comfort as better than their prior hearing aids
- Reduction of wind noises
- Ability to use ear-level listening devices, such as a telephone, headphones, or stethoscope, with little to no feedback
(Photo courtesy of InSound Medical, Inc.)
What To Expect With the Lyric Hearing Aid
Getting started on the path toward better hearing is easy. With Lyric® Hearing, you get your own customized Lyric devices in one simple office visit to The Hearing Aid Center of Hinsdale, which is an affilliate organization of the Ear Institute of Chicago. The Hearing Aid Center of Hinsdale is located immediately adjacent to the Ear Institute of Chicago, Hinsdale office. Lyric is a non-surgically placed hearing aid, and no anesthesia is required. Sizing and fitting for the Lyric devices should take less than one hour.
To begin your experience, schedule an initial appointment with the Hearing Aid Center of Hinsdale (630-789-3015).
Initial Patient Visit
Your initial visit will begin with an evaluation of your specific hearing loss condition. Based on this evaluation, a Hearing Aid Center of Hinsdale audiologist will determine if Lyric is the best option for your hearing and lifestyle needs.
• Perform hearing exam to assess your hearing loss
• Conduct ear exam to check size/shape of your canal and ear health
• Evaluate your lifestyle/hearing needs
Once you and an audiologist from the Hearing Aid Center of Hinsdale have determined that Lyric is right for you, you will be sized and fitted with Lyric. This process has three simple steps that enable you to leave the office with your Lyric hearing devices.
Sizing and Fitting Steps
• Size and place Lyric
• Program Lyric
• Discuss how to use Lyric, answer questions, and schedule follow-up visits
After completing the steps above, you will be able to start experiencing the benefits of Lyric Hearing.
Follow-up Visits to Receive Your New Lyric Devices
Lyric devices may be used until they cease to function or for a maximum of 120 days. Individual replacement needs may vary. Patients should expect to return to the Hearing Aid Center of Hinsdale for 10-minute replacement visits as needed.